Shelabunia, 26th May 1999
Fr. MARINO RIGON, S.X - SKETCH OF MY LIFE.
1. My village – my family – my name. The farm, the land, the orchad...
2. My early days: Mummy and prayers before to go to bed – Falling in the rivulette and aunty Prassede (first filling of shame)
3. K.G. and the Passion of the Lord Theatre. - My vocation....
4. Master use to say that I resolved the problem of perpetual motion. My restlesness and a trouble for many (In Genova, after ten years of Bangladesh may mother... your cousin Maria forgive you all mischievousness you did to her). And also now, some body tells me:”Remember what you were..”. But I think this was a blessing for me, my restless kept me far from to see the evil.
5. The altar boy and the Balilla (Mussolini)
6. The bad year of the two first years of High School. The Sartore family:Domenic e Teresa.
7. Entrance to the Xaverian House in Vicenza, even if at my childhood I did not like the place. I was dreaming Africa.
8. First year in Vicenza with Fr. Uccelli .. his punishment..
9. Three year in Grumone (Theatre, in which my roll was painting the scenarios, which I did for all my studies period) and starting of Second Great War – San Pietro in Vincoli, two years - One year in Castel Sidoli (PC) – Parma one year – Udine one year – Parma two years (Fr. Lancioti send me for two years to Prof. Antonio Allegro to learn some drawing) – Pecans two years- Priesthood Ordination, 10th March 1951. Again to Udine, one year- Leaving for East Pakistan.
10. The history of my destination.
11. My trip to Calcutta- East Pakistan in the day of Epiphany.
12. In Dhaka for studing Egnlish. The italians (Remember that italian.. the more youu suffer the more you like to stay.)
13. In Bhabarpara with Fr. Alberton and my first missionary experience. Remember my first outing in Anondobas at the muchi para...In the cultural field, here in Bhabarpara I started to taste one expression of the bengali art, “Jatra” (drama).
14. My destiny was signed by the High School of St. Paul – Shelabunia. The History of my going and the conclusion of the first period of three years in the Suderbon. Starting of reading literature and the exploit of the “Jatra”:religious (Agapit) and social (Bandir Chele). How I stated my reading books....
15. At Khulna .. Passion Sunday...kept at the bridge of Mariampara.. and mission work in Chakshry, Bagerhat, Bolpur, Chuknogor...The Fatima School and its history with Pulin and Omullo..
16. Exhausted back in Italy, July 1962: with malaria, ameba, and always with fever. Back in my village Two things impressed me. I could not recognize my village, so transformed, and at home my brother Joseph put on record one song; “(Charisma Pinocchio), Most dear Pinocchio, do you remember when I was a baby...? What during the first ten year of Bangladesh I tried to forget it appeare violently end so vividly before my mind and my eyes that I was deeply moved.
17. This first period was characterized of entering in the culture and literature of Bangladesh and by embarking myself in the field of education. But what most impressed me during this period was the poverty of Bangladesh; remembering those days I can say that that time there as nothing in Bangladesh, but poverty and misery and diseases, as cholera and smallpox, etc. Among all difficulties I found time, especially during travelling in the boat in Subderbon, to read and to meditate on the literature of Sarat Chanda and Bankim Chandra, and from 1957 on Tagore’s poetry, especially the book “Gitanjali’. The first poem I started to read was the No. 112 of Ghitanjali: “Ke bole sob phele jabi moron hate dhorbe jobe...” During this period I started the translation of “Gitanjali” into italian language, which was a big success. (See a part the History of the translations).
18. In one year in Italy I felt a little better and the Bishop, Mons. Dante Battaglierin sent me to Canada, at Antigonish, for a Diploma in Social Leadership. America was for me a good medicine.
19. Back on 1994 I was made Director of the Social Training Centre of Jessore, where I put my knowledge receive in Antigonish at the disposal of many people during my six year in Jessore. And here I built up the new Training Centre Building.
20. During this period I met the Poet Jasim Uddin, January 1965, and I started the translation of “Nackshi Kanthar Math”.
21. After the vacations of 1970 I was sent to Baniarchock (Faridpur), where I started to put in practice what I learned in Antigonish and I taught in Jessore. It was the period of the Liberation and the Cooperative of Agriculture and Fishery.
22. From 1976 to 1979 I was in Italy travelling from town to town in the several Seminaries of many Dioceses in Italy.
23. Back in Bangladesh I was hoping to be free to work only in the Cultural and Literature field, but I was sent to Shelabunia and till now I do not get a way out. Here is the period I found the Bauls, their philosophy, their sons and their popular literature, thanks to Bro. James in Dhaka St. Joseph’ High School. For me was a great discovery, as I thought that we need a christian literature, and till 1980 I thought that we had to base our christian literature on the bengali great literature, but finding the Bauls I realized that the basis of our christian literature inculturation should be based in the popular literature and culture, and for many reasons. In the year 1981, in the occasion of my mother eightieth birthday, my brothers and sisters gave me a fund to build up a big Hall for cultural and literature manifestation, gathering and other manifestations, religious and social, a Hall with a stage and with the possibility to accommodate more than one thousand and five hundred people. In the meantime arose the problem of the Sewing Centre: no work, only few and little orders, because there was no market for our products. So I asked myself, “what should we do and where should we arrive to get a market for ever. My strait and prompt answer was: we should arrive to the art. And what in Bangladesh, in the field of Sewing Centre may arrive to the Art? Strait the answer: Nackshi Kantha! Moreover Nackshi Kantha have one large and infinite field of expression in design and in the color. Thanks God we found a fit and a good and a fine artist, Surayia Rahman, and so good also, because she accepted to teach for a few years our girls. And Sr. M.Lillian, SRMA, was so generous, to keep in Jagaroni our girls. But there was still other problems: we needed the design and to compose the colors. First problem was solved by Surayia, who allowed us to use her design, and the problem of the colors was solved by Sr. Philomena and the girls themselves. With this enterprise we find the genius talent of many analphabet girls. Yes, analphabets, but genius, as twice we went to Italy for Nockshi Kantha Exibition, Vicenza (1989) and Rome 1994. At present we are preparing another Exibition for the year 2000 in Italy, with also some inculturated design in christian Nackshi Kantha Arts. The year 1982 was the year of my first award or recognition, by the Kabi Jasim Uddim Bangladesh Accademy. It happened suddenly. As Mrs. Hasna Moudud told me. She told me that many desired and asked for this recognition, bu when it came that she had to decided, she said: I will give this award to whom who did not ask and he does not know that he will receive; Fr. Rigon. The reward was give to me on14th March 1982 in the Hall of Shilpa Kala Accademy in the hands of the President Mr. A. Sattar. I feel proud that Bangladesh gave my life first recognition to me. After the ceremony the artists of Shilpa Kala Accademy performed the Ballet: “Nackshi Kanthar Math”. It was beautiful, and I propose in myself that I should bring to Italy this Ballet, at least as an act of thanks to Bangladesh. And this happened on 1987.
SOME EVENTS OF LIFE
1958 - Help to the students started , which after came out the Sponsorship of San Vincent d’ Paul and Centro Studi Tagore.
1961 – Rosy Biswas offered herself for work with the poor, from which came out “Mariuccia Handicraft Centre” :Help to Behari widows, Sewing Centre, Primary School at Khalispur.
Lions Club – Mestre started the Capaign Students Sponsorship with the book: “LIBERARE LA VITA”.
1963-64 – Antogonish Diploma on Social Leadership.
1964 – At the Social Training Centre of Jessore
1965 – Preparations of girls for the rehabilitation women: Rosy – Mary – Angela.
1971 - Liberation Year: the most difficult time. “Muktibahinir Muktibahini”.
1973 – Meeting with Prime Minister Mujibar Rahman.
1974 – Invitation from Mani Tese ( Mr. Graziano Zoni) to speak on Tagore in Florence, Grosseto, Figline di Prato, Milan, Venice, Faenza...
1976 – Saint Vincent D’Paul Society come to Bangladesh through Mr. Ennio Bagarella. And Fanny Pilizzon from Lido Venice.
1977 - Group of Italian in Bangladesh.
1081 - The cultural Hall.
1982 - Kabi Jasim Uddin Award: 14th March 1982, in the hands of President Mr. A. Sattar.
1982 – Beginning of Nackshi Kantha Embroidery: Autumn.
1983 – 17th December: recognition by the Villaverla (my village birth) Municipality.
1986 – Awrin Hoque won the International Competition for Children Songs in Bologna: 28th November.
1987 – “Nackshi Kantha Ballet” in Rome, Livorno, Florence, Faenza, Cernusco, Milan, Venice, Vicenza; by the Artists of Shilpakala Accademy of Dhaka.
1987 – Visit of Cardinal Silvano Piovanelli to Shelabunia.
1989 – Exibition of the Nackshi Kantha in Vicenza, Salone Monte di Pieta’: 2-10 settembre.
1991 - 3rd to 12th May, at "Laurentianum", Mestre (VENEZIA) Nackshi Exibition.
1991 – Meeting of the Paoline, through the Ragaini; intervention in Milan.
1992 – Church of St. Paul in Shelabunia: Blessing on 8th November.
1993 – Establishment of “Centro Studi Tagore” – Villaverla.
1994 – Prize “Rocca d’Oro Garda”: 26th June.
1994 – Friend of Melvin Jones recognition, by Mestre Lions Club.
1994 – Exibition of Nackshi Kantha in Rome, in Domus Mariae, by the Catholic Action Organization.
1995 - Man of the Year, by World Vision, January 1996.
1996 – COE (Centro Orientamento Educativo) intervention in the St. Paul’s Hospital.
1997 – Blessing of Chalna Church: 19th December.
1997 – Recognition by Vicenza Municipality
1998 – Contact with the Association Pope John XXIII – Rimini.
1999 – Accademico Olimpico Onorario, by Vicenza Olimpyc Accademy. 19th June